Do Your Walls a Favor!
A Santa Barbara resident since 1971, I became a professional paperhanger
in 1978, and a Licensed California Paperhanging Contractor in 1991.
I specialize in residential installations and small to mid-size commercial installations.
While most of my work is on the south coast I occasionally work in north county.
My work has been featured in four of the last five CALM Design Showcases houses.
I was selected as the exclusive installer for the Traditional Home Magazine Showcase
house in Montecito in 2004. I have also taught paperhanging thru Adult-ed.
Professional affiliations include the National Guild of Professional Paperhangers. I am licensed, insured and bonded.
Santa Barbara Magazine features Gary in the April/May 2011 issue:
- Paperhanging Locally for 27 years, Gary James has specialized in residential wallpaper installations, from cozy cottages to mega mansions, as well as mid-size commercial projects.
- "Man About Town" James has restored the aging canvas seams in the mural room at the Santa Barbara County Courthouse and has installed mother-of-pearl mosaic tiles on the donor walls of the Santa Barbara Museum of Art.
- Trends For 2011: Wallcoverings of all types. Woven and ecofriendly materials such as grasscloths, natural and synthetic linens, silks, bamboo, and other renewable fibers, as as well as other materials Iike glass beads, wood veneers, oxidized metals, ultrasuede, seashells, mylars, and foils.
- Tips from the Pro: Fabrics intended for domestic use can be installed once the backside is treated with either acrylic coating or laminated with a paper backing.
- Digital murals can be created from photographs. Clever borders and stick-on designs are available for children's rooms.